I was looking for some information on making better decisions and stumbled upon “Decisive: How to make Better Choices in Life & Work” by the Heath Brothers One of the resources they shared was “Six Simple Questions that Yield Better Decisions. I found these questions useful and important in generating more in -depth thinking and analysis to several problems I was trying to work out. The questions work on the “What if”, “Reflective” and “Future Forward” type of questioning.
- Imagine that the option you’re currently leaning toward simply vanished as a feasible alternative. What else could you do?
- Imagine that the alternative you are currently considering will actually turn out to be a terrible decision. Where could you go looking for the proof of that right now?
- How can I dip a toe in this decision without diving in headfirst?
- What would you tell your best friend to do, if he/she was in the same situation?
- If you were replaced tomorrow, what would your successor do about your dilemma?
- Six months from now, what evidence would make me retreat from this decision? What would make me double-down?
Try them out in the appropriate setting and see how they can work for you.
Get their book and/or download resources from their website.